Thursday, June 15, 2006

Moan.

OK, it's been a few days since I've moaned about work. It's not proactive. It doesn't help me get a new job, but it does feel good.

This morning we received the following email.

-----
FROM: The Managing Director
TO: The Whole Jelly Factory


Although there hasn't been much media attention, you may have overheard that there is a football knock-about later today which starts at 5pm!! Just in case any of you should be interested in watching it, please feel free to leave from 4pm onwards this afternoon.
-----

Yay! We get to leave work early!

Except I don't, because I don't watch football.

Yep. If I wanted to nip down the pub and have a pint with my mates I would be allowed to leave early today, but because I don't like watching grown men run after a pig's bladder I get to stay here.

While other people who couldn't give two hoots have now long gone home, I'm sat here twiddling my thumbs because someone from my department has to be here until close of play. Sick joke? Maybe, especially considering how I have had to put up with people whinging that the time given isn't nearly enough to get home, changed, and down the pub in.

And the really funny part? I came in early this morning after waking up at four due to the smoke alarm deciding that then would be a good time to tell me the batteries needed changing. I figured that I might as well be productive rather than mope around at home until the usual time for departure.

*Bleep* them. *Bleep* them in their stupid asses.

8 comments:

Kourosism said...

Whoops. That read like I went to work at four. I'm not *that* daft.

Anonymous said...

Kouros, life is too short for this carry-on. If there's something you really want to do, get up and do it NOW! ( Cos you never know what's around the next corner.)

Anonymous said...

I'm not 'Anonymous.... I'm Trouty!

Unknown said...

We also were allowed to go home early today in exchange for our lunch-breaks (fair swap, I reckon).
T and I both had important work to do, however, so stayed behind. We still got home in time to see the second half, so I don't understand the need to go early anyway. And will I be able to get any sense out of my team tomorrow? Like hell will I. They'll be having a good gloat over the 2-0 win as if they were on the pitch themselves. Bah.

Unknown said...

Tell you what, K: if you like you can work on my allotment wot I'm going to get. It'll be corner shaped so you'll be right at home there. All the taters you can eat, too. Have to grow 'em yourself, mind, and there's no wages. If you work hard enough I'll even build you a shed.
I suspect it'd still be an improvement on your current position. :)

Kourosism said...

That's the annoying thing, Om - if I was asked, or if I actually had any work to do that required staying later, I honestly wouldn't have minded. But because it was lumped on me with the excuse of "you don't watch footie so you can stay late" it was just too much WT with a little F if you're of the sweary inclination.

And LH... you're right. Stop being right. You're like a latter day Buddha or something.

Kourosism said...

I had already made the mistake of previously announced my hatred for all things football related at some point over the course of the last three years.

Phil said...

I hate footy too! That really sucks...

Why DO chuffin' smoke alarms always fall below the battery change voltage threshold at some un-godly hour! Always, always always, without fail? Grrr!