Friday, November 25, 2005

History.

I really should blog more often. Or maybe I shouldn't, who knows. Anyway, here's a story from my childhood.

Many moons ago, and back when I were a lad (about six or seven years ago) I was in the Venture Scouts, having been involved in Scouting since the tender age of six. We had been led to believe that Venture Scouts was mostly doing "proper" stuff. Man stuff (even when the women were there). Climbing things, breaking things, swimming in things, driving things. That kind of stuff.

Actually, it was mostly sitting around drinking tea.

But there are a few events that really stick out. And this is one of them:-

In 1998, we were given the opportunity of camping in Poland. We jumped at the chance, and (truth be told) that whole camp was great, involving midnight hikes in rivers, setting camp in deserted islands, historical lessons in the form of a visit to Majdanek, and accidentally breaking into a castle.

I didn't mean to, honest.

I forget exactly where it was now, but we were visiting some quaint Polish town, and there happened to be a castle type structure there. It looked fairly interesting and so I wandered off to go have a look around it. Except I couldn't find the entrance.

But I did find a random Polish guy who seemed to be heading in that direction, so I followed him. In retrospect, he probably wondered why some malinformed English teenager was stalking him, but since he didn't bring it up, neither did I.

About half way to the castle, he took a detour across a field. It did occur to me that he might not be heading to the castle afterall, but I held my trust in him and my luck bore out. Eventually, he climbed through a hole in the wall, I followed, and we found ourselves in the main street of the inner walls.

Mere moments later, the rest of the Unit came from round a corner, and seemed very unsurprised to see me. "Wasn't it expensive to get in?" mentioned one.

"Not really," said I, having never been particularly good at lying.

So anyway, that is the story about the time I invaded a very small bit of Poland. Maybe that was only interesting to me, so tomorrow's blog may be more exciting. It may even be about Bob the Totem Pole.

2 comments:

Pookledo said...

You only drank tea? Or did you just say that for legal reasons? *lol*

Kourosism said...

No, it really was just tea we drank. We did go to the pub on occasion, but more often that not we just sat in the hut drinking tea.