Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Teh Fear Elaborated.

OK, in brief...

I have travelled, so this really shouldn't be an issue for me. Jordan, Egypt, America, Italy, Portugal, Morocco. I've flown before. But not for a couple of years.

We've booked our holiday for this year, Sicily, and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm not looking forward to the flight, and I don't know why, as I thought I'd gotten over this whole thing. I think it can be summed up by the following factors:-

Fear of Falling
Understandable - it's a long way down. That said, I know that planes don't just drop out of the sky. People fly them into the ground or mountains, but they don't just drop.

Fear of Terrorism
Understandable, but irrational. Why can I use the Underground on the regular basis and not think twice, but panic for months in advance about flying? The security is better (is it, it's so secretive) and it's not as if we're still living in a climate where people are being driven to do horrible things... ahem. And we're always being told how tough security is at Heathrow... but what about Gatwick? I don't care about Heath-frickin'-row.

So anyway, I need to combat this. It's stupid, it's not something I can really put into words, but I need to do something about it. I'm booking myself in on an Aviatours course, but I reckon that's half the problem.

I'm a thinker, and spend a great deal of time wondering "what if" and doing very little - that's the same reason why I don't blog much. I'm too busy thinking about something else, and it's usually some flash in the pan (Diceman, anyone?) leaving me plenty of time to worry about something else.

So I'm going to give myself a project. It's a project that involves a little bit of research, a little bit of writing (something I'm sorely out of practice doing as you can probably tell; the last fun thing I wrote was this, and that was yonks ago) and surprisingly, a little bit of work. Yes, w**k work.

Hopefully that will take my mind off it for a while. Oh, and the project? Tentatively titled "Upon the Death of Lord Nelson" but we'll see.

2 comments:

Kourosism said...

Nah, not so worried about the Mafia. In fact, that's one thing that makes me a little more happy about the flight... would you want to risk knocking off one of their boys?

Anonymous said...

I was brought up on aeroplanes, and have a fear of the underground and trains in general.Statistically it's still the safest form of transport! Good luck with your plan and Happy Birthday!!