Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Tests.

Tests seem to be the "in" thing on Blogs at the moment. My last two posts are testimony to that.

Light hearted as they may be, I am very concerned about the result of this one. Or rather, the Implicit Race test you'll see as an option once you've agreed to the disclaimer.

I'm not one to automatically believe the result of any online questionnaire, but racism has become one of society;s biggest taboos (and justifiably so) that any indication that we may fall foul of this particular misdemeanor is immediately both worrying and fascinating - that's why I took the test, after all.

Am I racist? I might be (though I feel I am not), but that's neither nor there - what concerns me is that racism has become such a hangup that by respecting the ideology that we must not be, we become super-observant of race, and fulfil our own fears that by being a different skin colour we are somehow different.

1 comment:

Jeangenie said...

Aha! You've spotted Catch 22! If you notice that people are a different race, and adapt your behaviour, you've immediately started to become racist.