Monday, May 16, 2005

Bike.

Isn't it odd how when you dispose of something you don't particularly need or want, that you still feel a little sadness for it?

Today I took Ween's old bike to the dump. To be honest, I was lazy, and couldn't be bothered to dig out the bike rack, mount it to the car, and drive it the whole couple of miles up there, only to return and pack the rack away again, so I rode it to it's final resting place.

Within a few minutes both tyres were flat (I didn't take a pump with me) and only one gear was working. The front brake cable was no longer attached to, well, pretty much anything and the saddle felt like it was made out of alabaster. Various trucks carrying skips trundled past, and I contemplated flagging one down and asking to chuck the godforsaken thing in the back, but instead I carried on.

The thing was a deathtrap, that was for certain, and I have no idea how Ween has managed to put up with it for so long.

By the final hill, I was knackered and I got off to push it the rest of the way. When I finally reached the dump, I wandered past the sign that said no entry - lorry changing bins but I knew she was having an interview so figured I would be OK. I left the monstrocity on the pile of other discarded bikes, and started the walk home.

Like I say, it's odd when you feel sadness for something you don't particularly want or need. It's so much better when you feel joy instead.


In other news, I've started reading some cycling blogs, partially down to Jack Jenkins who posted a comment on this blog the other day. So many are so inspiring that they have me itching to get back in the saddle again. I'm trying to challenge myself to ride at least once a day - I dont know how I will fare when the rain comes, so I make no promises.

But so many of these people are so in love with their bikes (and for good reason) that they seem to live for the thrill of riding. I'm not there, and I don't think I will be, but what great reading it makes!

Best blog I've read today: Through The Wall from Saturday, May 7th.

2 comments:

Loretta said...

I think you had the wrong Lorry, K. I don't *do* bins. :p

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger. I've joined this site (mountain bike) as I'm looking to buy a mountain bike. Do you know of anywhere else I could look for advice? Many thanks.