Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Firestarter.

I seem to have inadvertently started a bit of a flame war over on the B3ta Qotw board.

You can read my post here, but in case you can't be bothered I'll summarise...

After stating that (when I worked in a shop) I used to be a bit of a jobsworth with customers who acted the arse and then tried to pay with Scottish notes. I used make them walk the reasonable distance of 100 yards to the nearest bank to exchange the notes for the Bank of England equivalents. As I noted at the end of the post, any customers who were polite and courteous and wanted to pay the same way I was more than happy to oblige.

Unfortunately that appears to have been interpreted as "I hate all Scottish people and laugh in their faces when they flash their poncy monopoly money around".

Oh, well.

What is interesting, however, is the number of people who think they know what they are and aren't allowed to do during a transaction (on both sides of the counter) yet end up getting it so painfully wrong. I can't pretend to know it all, but some of it is surely common sense?

I remember a chappie who bought a pair of workboots and after wearing them on a worksite, he decided to clean them overnight wedged in a bucket of water. He later came in expecting a full refund because they had "worn out" (or rather, gone mouldy and fallen apart becuase he hadn't dried them). And I don't believe he was just trying his luck either, judging by the redness of his face and the amount of spittle he covered me in.

This time the chappie in question paid in neither English or Scottish currency, but was instead promptly shown the nearest alternative shop where he could possibly buy something more robust. Like bricks, perhaps.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mum once served someone who claimed she had short changed him. He insisted that he hadn't given her a £20 note as she claimed, but a £25 note.

Unknown said...

Ah, shop-keepers rights... what fun can be had with a tetchy customer!