Friday, November 16, 2007

Ubuntu

I haven't blogged for a while, not because there's been nothing to blog about, but because I just haven't needed to share. Selfish? Quite possibly.

There's a suggestion that blogging is a form of therapy - I think everyone who reads the blogroll will agree that this is true to a certain extent. Looking back to last year, to just how stressed I was, and how much this was flowing through into my blogs, I think it is reflective of my new-found (even if fleeting) serenity that I'm not blogging so much anymore. By the way, the kids and I mutually hate each other.

That's not to say I'm not reading... I'm just not participating as I once did.

Anyhoo, since going the full hog with Ubuntu a month back, I've been quite pleasantly surprised at the ease of the transition. Almost everything I've wanted to do has just worked and been just there when I wanted it. I do still have a couple of minor niggles. The first is my wireless connection, which seems to drop from time to time, and won't reconnect without rebooting. It has dropped while I am writing this blog, and I am caught between saving what I have thus far written into TomBoy notes and carrying on later, or forgetting the whole thing and going to have a bath.

The other is the ugliness of the buttons in Firefox. If anyone else is using Ubuntu, try this.

Other than that, I really, really like it. Oh, and three days after I wrote the original version of this article, the connection seems fine again now. Maybe an update fixed it...

11 comments:

Unknown said...

My current - and only - problem with Ubuntu is in getting rocksndiamonds to download the game data. Can you try and see if you have any luck?

See woe here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=611614

Kourosism said...

I downloaded through Synaptic, and it notified me that I also needed p7zip and libsdl-net1.2

If you downloaded by Terminal in the first instance, I do wonder if it skipped those. Through synaptic I was then given an option for which games I wanted, Legend of Zelda, and a whole host of others. For kicks I downloaded the whole lot.

The computer is whirring away doing something, but the applying changes terminal window seems to have frozen while grabbing the gamedata. I'll leave it running for a while and see what happens. As you can tell from this post, the rest of the desktop seems fine, just that one window.

Kourosism said...

It started again. Evidently I was just being impatient. Works fine at this end, or at least seems to.

Unknown said...

Still no joy for me. What a pile of poo.

Kourosism said...

Have you tried downloading those two additional files separately?

Unknown said...

Yes but it didn't fix the problem.

I don't suppose youcould email me the game data files could you? They should be in a .rocksndiamonds folder somewhere, probably under your home dir.

Unknown said...

(probably in a 'levels' directory in there)

Kourosism said...

Will do. Which email addy should I use?

Unknown said...

If you could use moc tod arierep ta hcir backwards that would be great, K

Kourosism said...

Done.

Unknown said...

Many thanks matey!