Sunday, April 23, 2006

Pap-pap.

Something on my car went "ping" and then "clunk". I'm not especially technically minded, but those didn't sound like good noises to me, especially since they seemed to come from the direction of one of the wheels.

I took it to the garage, and not wanting to look like a complete numpty I guessed what the problem may be - possibly something to do with the shock absorbers?

Well, it turns out I wasn't a million miles off, as a springy thing attached to the shock absorber had snapped and hung in a downwardly direction looking particularly sad for itself. Chappie at the garage suggested that it would probably not be sensible to drive it too far, and as I was not in much of a position to disagree, I didn't, and left the car with him to mend on Monday when the part comes in.

Which means I do not have a car to get to work with. Or to get home with. Or indeed to go pick the car up with.

I now have a couple of options :-

  1. take the train, which goes miles out of the way and takes about two hours to get somewhere that's only a half hour drive away.
  2. cadge a lift from someone (reasonable, but I live a long way from anyone else in my office and they would need to go out of their way to pick me up - not something I like making people do).
  3. cycle. I guesstimate it's about 17 miles off road, over quite hilly terrain.

So I'm off to give my bike the once over. Fingers crossed I'll get to work on time* and that I don't get a puncture on the way**. I'm quite out of practice after plenty of promises last year to ride every day - I haven't ridden more than about 8 miles in any one session, and tomorrow I'll be riding closer to 30 (though hopefully with a snooze at my desk in between).


*Not really that bothered if I don't.
** Not really that bothered if I do, as would provide a nice excuse if I am late.

2 comments:

NigelH said...

*gasp* 30 miles? I hope you don't have to tow the car back when you find out the bike doesn't fit inside!

Anonymous said...

you might need some shock absorbers fitted to your hem hem.
good luck!