Sunday, January 21, 2007

Education.

A few weeks back work decided it would be beneficial for me to become a little more educated, and partake in a home-taught course. They picked a course relevant to my job (and hopefully relevant to a job I would like to get after this one) and I waited for it to arrive, which it duly did. W00t to me so far.

By golly though, they don't half throw you in at the deep end. I received a box of twenty CDs, all with codes such as 93040d and f754599 but no paperwork. My guess is the introduction for the course is figuring out where to start.

I picked a CD at random (OK, I picked it because its packaging was a slightly different shade of yellow than the others) and it just happened to be the foundation module. Score one! This is going to be easy.

Things weren't to be quite as complicated as they first appeared, however. Favourite quotes from the course so far:-

"More than one computer connected together can form a network."

"A network over a local area, such as an office, is a local area network, or LAN. An network over a wider area, is a wide area network or WAN."

"P2P networks can sometimes be used for illegitimate purposes."

Granted, I've only just started on the foundation level, and without a doubt I'm sure that this will get very quickly over my head. Right now though, I'm mighty glad I didn't pay for this course myself.

5 comments:

Phil said...

Hahaha, superb, I guess you they don't want to run before walking LOL.
How cool to get a course on CD though, now that's the future... They'll be linking together computers from all over the world soon and calling the Internet or some other buzz world like the web... Nah, it'll never happen :0)

Kourosism said...

It's amazing what they can do these days, isn't it? My parents even have this little box in the corner of the room through which they can watch people. I reckon it's just pictures drawn by very quick gnomes though.

Max said...

Wow! not so fast, can gou run through that again whilst I get a crayon to make some notes

NigelH said...

Don't give him anything sharp...

Anonymous said...

Old techology. Why isnt it on the intermaweb thingy?