Sunday, January 07, 2007

Help!

For people that know more than I do...

Next door was involved in a car accident a few months back. It was minor, and they're OK, but the car was badly damaged. They now have a new one, while the old auto has sat in the communal car park since. OK, not great, but not annoying.

Now it has been vandalised and pushed out of its space - if it moves any further I won't be able to get my own car out.

Could anyone with the relevant experience advise just what I could do, as a third party? Could I offer to pay to get it removed, and if so how much would it cost - or does the neighbour have an obligation to do so? I don't want to cause a fuss with otherwise very good neighbours, but I am also concerned that this will encourage crime, and worry about my own car being damaged.

5 comments:

car01 said...

Contact your Council - they should have a system for collecting abandoned vehicles. Here in Cardiff it's now free because they want to make sure that abandonded vehicles don't cause more crime to happen.

Anonymous said...

It should be free to get the car scrapped now - see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6214181.stm

Perhaps a polite chat with the neighbour would be able to sort things out. Sounds like they're not planning to repair it, and they're not likely to get any money by selling it.

Kourosism said...

Thanks for the tips, everyone. Someone from the council came to look at it earlier with a clipboard. Will keep eyes peeled.

Phil said...

Local council should remove it, but it's very off of your neighbours just to leave it there, not very considerate really.

Kourosism said...

dogga: It's not very considerate, but I do know that she has had a tough time of it lately. I think the car has been the least of her concerns.