Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Can you tell what it is yet?





 


 


While waiting for my car to be fixed, I went out for a walk and stumbled upon this little curiosity. I daresay that somebody else had stumbled on it previous to me (apart from whoever put it there) as it had been partially dug away.

I cleared the rest of the mud away from it the best I could, and tried to pull it up - no joy. I little further invesitgation revealed that it was attached to a pole or chain of something below the ground. I'd be darned if I were going to dig the whole lot up, but I can't help but be intrigued as to what use it may have once had.

It lay about eight feet away from a small river, though I can't believe that any boats regularly used it (far too shallow, in my humble and ill-informed opinion).

Any guesses? Posted by Hello

3 comments:

Simon Goodway said...

I reckon it's a hook.

car01 said...

My guess is that it's attached to a coffin for easy removal from the soil.

Kourosism said...

Stu... that sounds rather cunningly likely. A little more investigation may be needed on my part, but Ta!