Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Sarcasm.

I am very fortunate to work with a lovely woman called Pat on a Monday and Tuesday of each week. She very kindly teaches us the ways of the world, which include the fact that men who wish to look after children other than their own are inherently "weird" to the point of paedophilia. This we can only assume include male scout leaders, primary school teachers etc.

Contrarily, she today advised us that there is nothing wrong with someone who chooses* to hire someone else to bring up their children, to talk to the children at dinner time, and to entertain the children while they sit outside. As long as that person isn't a man.


* as opposed to being placed into a position by work commitments, family issues, etc. This may be narrowed down to the very wealthy, one assumes.

< /sarcasm >

I should probably note I have nothing against Nannies - I do have something against people who are so stuck inside their own little bubble that they mistake stereotypes for, as she put it, DNA. I also have something against people who complain loudly in queues that they shouldn't have to wait because they "have a child to look after" when it is undeniable that the child is being currently entertained by the Nanny and is perfectly happy.

2 comments:

Paul said...

I think I may have met Pat in Derby on Saturday morning

Kourosism said...

Absolutely, LH - that is exactly what scares me as well.

Today really took me by surprise though. She effectively looked me in the face and told me I was a rapist, just because some men rape.

I felt like asking her if that meant that all black men are thieves, or if all women steal milk, but I think that may have been lost on her.

Paul - When I read your blog the other day, I clearly remember thinking how glad I was that I didn't know anyone quite so bigoted. How wrong can one person be?