Friday, October 20, 2006

Nanowrimo.

Last year a few bloggers took part in Nanowrimo, whereby you attempt to complete a 50,000 word novella before the end of the month of November, starting only after the 1st of the aforementioned month.

At the time, I didn't take part because of two factors:

  1. I wasn't convinced that I would be able to put the required time into the project.
  2. I have a habit of rewriting anything seven or eight times (after several weeks of planning) before it becomes anything I am remotely satsified with.

For the latter reason in particular, most of my writing up until now has largely been in the form of very short stories. However I have had one really BIG idea running through my head for the last few years, and while I haven't fixed any key details down, I do find myself daydreaming a few aspects of it from time to time. I'm not convinced that I can still write anything without going back over it repeatedly yet, but I could give it a shot.

The former reason has become irrelevant. My job is so dull and quiet that I think I could easily put in the hours inbetween tasks. Not skiving, but being a little more productive than reading BBC News fifteen times a day.

I haven't signed up yet... should I?

4 comments:

NigelH said...

Do it at once, otherwise your brain will fester and turn blue at the edges!

Kourosism said...

It is about quick low-edit writing... unfortunately it's not particularly something that I'm good at.

The idea I have spinning in my head is essentially a Monomyth, and the 50,000 word limit would probably allow me to complete the first third satisfactorily.

I think I would probably nip back and edit it after the month is over in my own time... but as far as my fiction is concerned I don't like putting things down on paper that I am unhappy with. I guess I just have to get used to it, for this at least.

Unknown said...

I had a bash at that. I got as far as about 10000 words but quit as I kept going over it, re-reading, correcting smelling pistakes, changing subtle plot points etc. I just couldn't help myself. I did some more well after November but the story itself was starting to get on my nerves. I just don't think I'm a write.
You may well fare a lot better than I.

Unknown said...

I had a bash at that. I got as far as about 10000 words but quit as I kept going over it, re-reading, correcting smelling pistakes, changing subtle plot points etc. I just couldn't help myself. I did some more well after November but the story itself was starting to get on my nerves. I just don't think I'm a write.
You may well fare a lot better than I.