Saturday, October 07, 2006

Telemarketers.

Long blog on its way. If you want to read a good rant, print it off and take it to the loo with you.... I hate 'em (not loos, but telemarketers). I hate that they do what they do, and I'm about to tell you why. The transcriptions are from memory, but are (more or less) how things happened.

Yesterday at work...

Me: "Good afternoon, XYZ Publishing..."

Other: "Sorry, I have the wrong number."

Me: "OK then, bye."

After about, oooh, five or six of these, all from different people, I started to think something was amiss. So before hanging up, I asked:-

Me: "Who are you trying to get a hold of?"

Other: "My mum."

Me: "Really? OK then, bye..."

A bit of digging revealed that they were calling from (or on behalf of) Bowater Home Improvements, and when they realised they were calling a business line, they gave the standard excuse, and hung up.

Let's see if we can get them to stop.

Other: "Sorry, wrong number."

Me: "I don't think it is. You're calling from Bowater Home Improvement and you're trying to sell me something."

Other: "...yes."

Me: "Can you remove this number from your list?"

Other: "You'll need to call another number to do that."

Me: "Will I? OK, what's the number?"

So I hang up (after getting the number, and before saying goodbye) and call it. Add the number to their do not call list, and look forward to a productive afternoon.

Then the phone rings.

Me: "Good afternoon, XYZ Publishing..."

Other: "Sorry, wrong number."

Me: "I don't think it is. You're calling from Bowater Home Improvement and you're trying to sell me something. I have just called your other line to get this number removed from your database."

Other: "Oh, that can take a while to work"

Me: "Can it really. What's your Managing Director's name?"

Other: "I... Why do you... I can't give you that, why do you want it?"

Me: "I am intending to make a formal complaint addressed to him. We have had about ten calls from you this afternoon, which is verging on harrassment."

Other: "You... I can pass you to my manager?"

Me: "I'd much rather not waste my time. What's your name? I would like to get my details correct in the complaint."

Other: "You're going to complain about me?"

Me: "Yes. So far you have lied to me, and you are now refusing to co-operate in allowing me to address the problem. Do you appreciate how much time has been wasted in dealing with your cold calls today?"

Other: "No, I cannot appreciate that."

And then he hung up. He hung up!

Not to worry, someone else called a few seconds later. Poor them: I was angry now. So I did what any rational person would do.

Other: "Sorry, wrong num..."

Me: "Sorry to butt in, but I can put you through to the correct number, please hold."

And then I got my mobile phone out, loaded up the ringtones, and played them the Knightrider theme, repeatedly. A few minutes later, they were still holding, so I hung up on them.

In the meantime, a colleague got (yet another) call from the same folks. Being much calmer than I, he took the opportunity to discuss the situation with the line manager who refused to believe there was anything wrong with their system that allowed the same number to be called repeatedly, but agreed to get it removed from their database "immediately" though we may still get a few more calls.

An hour later, they ceased. Between us we estimate that we took over forty calls from these people, and not one of them admitted that they were cold calling unless we prompted them. Probably not technically illegal, but damned annoying.

So you see, I hate telemarketers.

7 comments:

Max said...

Scot Mills on Radio one does some fantastic pay back on these companies.

I hope they rot in cold calling hell

Loretta said...

It is illegal for them to call you if you have told them not to or if you are registered with the Telephone Preference Service. It breaks some telemarketing rules or summat-or-other, and they can have their telemarketing license revoked and be fined up to £10k for breaching the rules.

I used to get calls from Weatherseal Holdings. Eventually I wrote to the MD and complained and was promised they would never call again, and got £25 compensation. They called again, so I stormed into their offices with the letter from the MD and complained. I told them I wanted £50 compensation, which they agreed to. I then said that every time they called me, the compensation would double. They called me one more time - and yes - I did get £100!

Kourosism said...

Yes, they do have to stop if you ask them to... but I fear that they have to have reasonable time to update their system. Even TPS allows something like 28 days.

To rub salt into the wound, it's a business line they were calling - of no interest to them whatsoever, but we are unable to sign it up with TPS as they are exempt.

Well done for getting your £100!

Anonymous said...

I didn't take your blog to the loo, I perservered and read it here - damn good job, well done!!!

Anonymous said...

When my brother in law is cold called at home, he says "can I put you on hold?" and then sings to them, interrupting himself occasionally to say "your call is valuable to us, please continue to hold" and then returns to singing "Fly me to the moon".

Kourosism said...

Jenny: Thanks!

Anonymous: In retrospect, I wish I had done exactly that. Great idea!

Anonymous said...

...in a fairly similar vein, I knew someone who invited Jehova's Witnesses in (have I spelt that right?) and proceeded to try and convert them to satanism!