Saturday, October 21, 2006

Outline.

OK, so the more astute will have gathered from the link to the left that I have signed up for Nanowrimo.

Yesterday I suggested that I have had an idea for a while that I wanted to expand. Part of Nanowrimo's rules are that the novel must be started on the 1st of November... but plot outlines are allowed (and encouraged). I am trying very hard to not mentally start writing the prose, and stick to gathering information.

That said, I do have a rough idea for each stage of the novel. I know my protagonist's name, what he will encounter (to an extent) and to a degree I also know the geography of the setting... though the reasons for that may become apparent in the tale itself.

A few months ago, as I was trying to get over my fear of flying, I started to write a novel following the HMS Pickle. I even said as much in my blog here. This will not be that story. This story is somewhat named after a ship as well, though this ship is fictional, and I am putting it to another use... it was just the inspiration.

I imagine that over the course of November that I won't be blogging very much, and instead focusing on Nanowrimo. Not that I ever blog that often anyway, of course. I may use this space as an outlet, or to hack out ideas, and at various junctures I may post bits of my project here, unless of course I am very unhappy with it, in which case it will never see the light of day.

So, what can I tell you? Not much, without spoiling it. There are dragons (but not that sort) and the protagonist is called MathĂșin and I'm looking forward to getting to know him. The title? Heahengel. There might be a sword involved somewhere, and someone may get hung, but I haven't quite decided yet and probably won't until I get there. The character in question probably has a 50/50 chance of survival, so pray for them, won't you?

That all said, please don't think of it as a fantasy fiction tale it's more of a... well, you'll have to wait and see (and kick me if I lapse, and stop writing).

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Can you have witches? And pirates? and space monkeys? Just witches then?

Looking forward to your updates, matey! Good luck!

Kourosism said...

Since you mention it, there is a witch... and I reckon I can probably squeeze pirates in there too. Not so sure about space monkeys though. I'll try, but I'm not promising anything!

Nick said...

Nanowrimo? Count me in.

Phil said...

Sounds a novel idea!!! GET IT??? lol
Good luck with it... :]