Saturday, March 24, 2007

Bah.

For this favourite thing, I've gone and bought myself a Creative Zen Vision:M, and it's really good. The sound quality is very impressive, and I like the intuitive user interface.

However...

One of the reasons I bought it was for trips on the bus/train to my new job. I would quite like to be able to download and watch BBC's video podcasts of their Breakfast bulletins and Newsnight etc. Unfortunately, the BBC only offer these in the MP4 format, which the Vision:M doesn't handle.*

Anyone know how to convert MP4 files to, ooh, let's say AVI?

*Yes, I should have done more research.

3 comments:

Loretta said...

You could try Auto Gordian Knot (http://www.autogk.me.uk/), I can't say for certain that it can convert mp4, but it converts normal mpegs to AVI (I usually use XViD encoding).

Unknown said...

I would strongly recommend http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/
It's free, and it should do what you want easily. It may take some fiddling around with the settings to get it to go, but I'm happy to help if you have any problems.

Kourosism said...

Thanks L and A. I think I have the problem solved. If I use the ZenCast software to manage my Podcasts, which is kinda handy anyway, it also converts them for the Zen.

Takes a while though. Doubt I'll get the Breakfast Takeaway done in time each morning. Ah well, can't have everything.