Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Don't shoot the Sheriff.

I hate first days. The nerves always get to me. Today, the "first day" of my new job was no exception... though on this occasion I was only there for an hour, and the main reason for being there at all was to meet everyone, and to get an idea of what I will actually be doing.

Turns out that what I will be doing is shaping up to being quite interesting... not that I have much of an idea of what it is yet, and neither do they. My predecessor left (obviously) and now their deputy (well, my deputy) is leaving too. A new one will be hired to start a couple of weeks after I do - some time towards the end of April. Effectively I will be given a clean slate to do whatever I want - to drive the department forward in a manner of my choosing. Within reason, obviously.

As a side note... I have a deputy! How cool is that?

Anyway. One of the tasks that needs doing is to create an online induction for the students wishing to use the new library and I.T. centre. Apparently the existing team have knocked together a prototype, which I got to look at today. It was interesting... and needs a bit of work. Which is good - I like a decent challenge.

None of the new computers use Vista, which is fine by me, and as two floors of the new building are effectively mine, I get to be the first member of staff to step inside the finished product on my first day.

I've rambled, haven't I? None of the above is coherent in any way whatsoever, is it?

Oh well.

1 comment:

Lisa & Adam said...

Ooh - are you w*rking at a university? Hope you do a better job than the IT bods at my university.